Being headquartered in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the Amedisys family is unfortunately no stranger to hurricanes and natural disasters.
If a hurricane is likely in your area, you should:
- Wear medical alert tags or bracelets to identify your condition.
- Continue to take your medications as directed by your physician.
- Follow your physician’s order of care.
- Continue to follow your dietary needs.
- Listen to the radio or TV for information.
- Secure your home, close storm shutters and secure outdoor objects or bring them indoors.
- Turn off utilities if instructed to do so; otherwise, turn the refrigerator thermostat to its coldest setting and keep its doors closed.
- Turn off propane tanks and avoid using the phone, except for serious emergencies.
- Ensure a proper supply of water by filling the bathtub and other large containers for drinking water and sanitary purposes (such as cleaning and flushing toilets).
- Gather extra clothing—minimum three-day supply.
- If you evacuate, contact your home health care or hospice care provider to share your temporary address and phone numbers.
For more information on how to prepare you and your loved ones for a hurricane, please visit: